Penguin had a population of 3,849. Penguin was first settled in 1861 as a timber town, and proclaimed on 25 October 1875. Penguin was one of the last districts settled along the North West coast of Tasmania, possibly because penguin history of the world pdf an absence of a river, for safe anchorage. Nearly all travel in those days was by boat as bush made the land almost impenetrable.
Many of the settlers probably emigrated from Liverpool via landing in Launceston then sailing west along the coast. Trade began when the wharf was built in 1870, allowing timber and potatoes to be exported. Penguin Silver Mine, along the foreshore slightly to the east of the town opened in 1870 but failed a year later. Neptune Mine, a tad further along, likewise failed. The rail from Ulverstone arrived in 1901, after which trade by sea declined.
Passing of the Local Government Act in 1906 saw Tasmania divided into 48 Municipalities. Penguin’s first Council was elected in 1907. Aboriginal bands, limited to just a few hundred people and collectively known as the North Tribe, consisted primarily of the Punnilerpanner people from Port Sorell, the Pallittorre from Quamby Bluff, the Noeteeler at the Hampshire Hills, and, most pertinent to Penguin, the Plairhekehillerplue at Emu Bluff. Occupation of the inland plains is understood to have been seasonal due to the severity of winter conditions during which months these bands migrated to the coastline. The absence of Aboriginal sites around Penguin is likely to be explained by disturbances due to agricultural activity and residential development.
Support for development was mixed, which resulted, eventually, in the developers foregoing all interest in the seaside town. One manoeuvre to circumvent development involved heritage-listing as much of the CBD as possible. Currently, Penguin has 26 heritage-listed sites. On 13 May 2016, former world 22 Tetris player Dave Humphreys visited Penguin. 91, was born in Penguin in 1928. Penguin High School from 1991 to 1994.
Broadmeadows in the Victorian Legislative Assembly from 1962 to 1985, was born in Penguin in 1925. Alister Nicholson, sports commentator for ABC Grandstand, covered events such as 2014 Commonwealth Games, 2016 Olympic Games and regular AFL and international cricket. Mount Montgomery is also in the Penguin area. The Big Penguin, made of ferro cement by the Goliath Cement Co of Railton and later coated with fibreglass, is located in the town’s centre opposite the Post Office, and is the town’s most photographed icon. Unveiled on 25 October 1975, it was erected to commemorate the centenary of the naming of the town. Concerns were raised in 2008 as to the possibility of asbestos contamination, but the Big Penguin was given the all clear.
Bass Strait, is located a kilometre west of the Post Office. Opened in the 1860s, it closed in 1977 and was heritage-listed in 2007. Penguin Twilight Celebration of the Dead – music among the tombstones. The event, held in the cemetery on 7 January 2015, was supported by the broader Penguin community. It marked the centenary of the cemetery’s unknown burial.
The one-hour musical extravaganza, involving pipers, vocalists, choir, violinist, flautist and guitarist had the crowd of 120-150 people meandering around six of the more significant tombstones. The celebration culminated in a butterfly release in the commemorative garden dedicated to the tens of unnamed babies in the cemetery. A fund-raising onsite formal long-table dinner was held in February 2016. State Library of Tasmania: Penguin Advocate.